Avant-garde off-Broadway performances exist alongside $2 Miller Lite specials in this eclectic riverfront neighborhood. The 20+ block riverfront stretch is packed with everything and anything from old school Pittsburgh institutions (The Pretzel Shop, Jack’s) to one of the most coveted tables in town (Dish Osteria).
- Its Has Everything: A grocery, multiple concert venues, a movie theater, a performance theater, a marina, tons of indie shops, national chains (H&M, REI, Urban Outfitters), coffee shops, more bars than you would ever need and some of the city’s best food from an English pie shop to seafood forward Italian osteria. This neighborhood hums from early morning to late night.
- Nightlife: Sunday night pint? Friday night happy hour turned into all night festivities? Dinner and a concert? South Side has you covered with speakeasy vibes (Acacia) to venerated institutions(Jack’s).
- The River: Run along the trail, take a book and hang out or if you are lucky enough to have a friend with a boat (they are the best friends to have) meet them at the Marina for a day on the water.
- Nightlife: There is no way around it. South Side is loud, a bit raucous and not for the faint of heart.
- Skews Young: As with most areas described as a ‘bar district,’ it can feel quite young on the weekends. With that comes the mess that they can make. But the neighborhood has stepped up its game in the past few years and come morning, most remnants are gone (but that tattoo that dude got…it is still there buddy)
For a full line of of neighborhood shops, restaurants and more see our sister publication, Urbanist Guide.